Carly's Wicked Blog

Keep Calm and Love Turtles

My SAT Experience

December7

Please forgive me if my writing is kind of vague. I signed a contract stating that I would not discuss test questions with anyone but I didn’t sign anything prohibiting me from telling you how I felt. But I don’t want to break any official rules so I’ll try to keep it short.

6:00: I’m awake (barely) at this ungodly hour on a Saturday morning. Why? I have to take the SAT this morning for the Duke TIP Talent Search. Yay…

7:15: I arrive Westlake High School surrounded by kids more than 3 years older than me. I’m alone, lost and confused in the crowd of giants, with nothing to do but stare at the floor.

7:45: The doors open and the mass of mountains surge forward. I search for familiar faces but see none. I stumble to my assigned room: 172. “Hello”, said the nice, blonde lady at the door. I stand there and smile at her. “Uh, ticket please?” I snap out of my trance. “Oh! Right, um, here,” I stuttered, handing her my ticket. “I don’t see your name…”, she said, pointing to the blank line, underneath which the words Student Name were printed. I told my dad I needed my name there! But he said mom knew what she was doing when she filled it out. “Uh, it’s Ca-Carly,” I squeak out. Okay let’s face it. I’m a nervous wreck. After telling me my seat number (18), she lets me in with a smile. Way to make a first impression, Carly.

9:00: After about an hour of questions about the instructions, the test begins. This is where I’m going to need to become very vague, as to not disturb my contract. I can tell you at there are 10 sections. 7 of them 25 minutes, 2 of the 20, and 1 of them 10.

Many long hours later…

2:30: The test is over and I can go home. I’m relieved and happy, but also regretful, knowing that I could have done better. You see, missing a multiple choice answer loses you 1/4 a point but leaving it blank doesn’t count against you. I didn’t realize that until after the test, a.k.a. after I had guessed on about 10 questions. Yay…

by posted under Fun, Random | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“My SAT Experience”

1. February 14th, 2014 at 4:08 pm      Reply marab743 Says:

I like how you used the metaphor, comparing the older kids as mountains in the fourth paragraph. I also like how you used the phrase “yay…” several times in your work.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Recent Comments

Skip to toolbar