Carly's Wicked Blog

Keep Calm and Love Turtles

Reuse, Redesign, Recycle: DIY Jean Bag (10 steps)

January7

In GT we did a project called “Reuse, Redesign, Recycle”, where you take one thing and make it into something else. I took a pair of old jeans and made them into a purse. Here’s the steps I took to get the finished product:

20140123-183404.jpg

1. Find a pair of old jeans that you’re not going to wear ever again.

2. Lay it down on a flat surface, facedown. Measure a couple of inches down from bottom of the back pocket. Take the ruler and draw a line with a permanent marker. Cut along the line.

3. So now you’ve got one side of the jeans looking like…well, jeans and the other looking like shorts. Okay, so that thick seam that connects each of the pant legs together? Cut along the edge of that seam so that when the two pant legs are separated, the thick seam is on the “shorts” side.

4. *Take some patterned ribbon (I chose something that was thick) and roll it out so that it covers the waistline. Put it through the loops (like a belt) and pin it down.

5.Now fold it inside out. Take some straight pins and put them in a straight line about 1 inch from the bottom of the back pocket. Also, put them in a straight line about 1 in from the side of the back pocket. Make sure that the point of the pin goes in and comes out of the fabric.

6. Now it’d time to break out the sewing machine. I already knew how to sew but if you don’t, I suggest that you learn because it’s a very useful skill to know and it will allow you to do things like this. After you thread the machine and the bobbin, put the presser foot down just outside of the line of straight pins underneath the pocket and sew there. Repeat for other line of straight pins on the side of the pocket. Since you sewed all the way up the side, the ribbon you looped like a belt (in Step 4) is now sown onto the waistline.

7. Now take your scissors and cut off as much of the excess fabric on the side and bottom of the pocket as you’d like, but leave just a little bit extra, the loose ends will be on the inside anyway.

8. Now take the same patterned ribbon you used in Step 4 (if you did Step 4) and measure it as long as you want your strap to be. Add a few extra inches. Cut. If it’s one sided, like mine was, then just sew two pieces together along the edge. If it’s double sided then you’re good to go (unless you want a thicker strap).

9. Okay, I suggest folding you’re ribbon over a little bit, sort of like making a hem, just because I think it makes it more even. Now you’re going to sew the strap onto the sides of your purse. Take the arm off the machine and put the layer of fabric that you aren’t using underneath. Now line the hem of strap at about 1 inch down from the waistband. Sew and repeat on both sides.

10. Turn inside out, add a cool pin if you’d like, and enjoy your new purse!

*= optional

by posted under Uncategorized | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“Reuse, Redesign, Recycle: DIY Jean Bag (10 steps)”

1. April 30th, 2014 at 11:26 am      Reply vs16briannada Says:

awesome post about the DIY jean bag .I love DIY crafts. If you have time visit my blog http://bluedogmeat.edublogs.org/.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Recent Comments

Skip to toolbar